Windows on Mac

Reaction score
I am a windows user and I have been for a long long time. So all of my programs are for windows (xp).

I have a MacBook Pro and am interested in putting Windows XP Home Edition on it. I do a lot of work in Flash and Photoshop and am curious what one would recommend I do in terms of partitioning my drive.

I was able to get windows to work following various instructions but I'm worried now that it's not going to give me what I need.

Can someone please help me in figuring out how I should partition my Mac to give me the best use of my space for my programs for Windows?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated since I'm at my wit's end! :( HELP!

Reaction score
Hay Tweakfox

I've just put windows XP on my macbook and I'm really happy with it. It works well.

If you are using Leopard the partitioning couldn't be easier. I just used the bootcamp setup that is on leopard. The only thing that i've done wrong which i'm going to have to fix is that I didn't make the partition big enough! I've run out of space on my windows partition.

If you are going to be booting only into XP and using Leopard only rarely then just make a massive XP/windows partition. I can see my windows partition in OSX but can't see the OSX in windows which is just fine for me. I use OSX for music pictures e-mail and browsing tinternet. The rest of the time I just boot to XP. I've not come across any problems other than not having the leopard disk to hand when I started installing XP (Woops)

Specifically what information about partitioning are you after?

Warmly

Josh

Reaction score
hey! just to let you know adobe releases there products on macs as well, so you can install photoshop and flash straight onto the mac OS

and when you need to pop onto windows to do something windows can only do
i use a applcation called VMware Fusion

this applcation allows you to run OSX AND windows at the SAME time, it opens it in a window, or fullscreen etc its worth checking out heres a link,

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Reaction score
I would recommend going with VMWare Fusion (or perhaps Parallels, though people say Fusion is the better one currently) as well, if you do not do any heavy processing (playing recent, resource-hungry games, running Windows-only 3D/CAD applications, etc.) - running both systems at the same time does take a bit of power after all... if you have the cash, get the Adobe apps for OS X instead (Photoshop with large files probably doesn't play nice in a virtual machine) and run the apps you can't find (reasonable replacements for) for OS X in a Windows virtual machine (Fusion/Parallels).

Ask a Question