Wi- Fi not shown or accessible

Reaction score
Hi I wonder if anyone can help I purchased a Mac Pro early 2008 2 x 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon , Looking at System Report it shows Wi Fi But when looking at Network its not there and on Network Diagnostics its greyed out ?
Also on my screen all the folders and files have a blurred image , see enclosed photo
Thanks For looking

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpeg
    IMG_0870.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0871.jpeg
    IMG_0871.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0873.jpeg
    IMG_0873.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0874.jpeg
    IMG_0874.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0872.jpeg
    IMG_0872.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0875.jpeg
    IMG_0875.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
When you go to the Network Sytem Prefereces, on the bottom of the interface you will see a +. Click on that and in the window that pops up select WiFi to add it.

If it is not listed in the pulldown then its possible that the Mac pro does not have a WiFi card in it.

Reaction score
When you go to the Network Sytem Prefereces, on the bottom of the interface you will see a +. Click on that and in the window that pops up select WiFi to add it.

If it is not listed in the pulldown then its possible that the Mac pro does not have a WiFi card in it.
Thanks for your reply

Its not listed in the pulldown menu , can I still buy a Wi Fi card for this

Reaction score

Thanks for your response Macsbug , it isn't in the pulldown menu , What does a Wi Fi card look like and where about is it installed .
Thank You

Reaction score

Hi Thanks for getting back , if I dont have a Wi-Fi card what options do I have for getting set up with Wi-Fi , Ps I dont know where a wi fi card would go ?

Reaction score
The wifi card is plugged in to the motherboard. Cheesegrater Mac Pros were notorious for having poor wifi reception because of the metal casing. I have a MacPro5,1 (mid-2012) into which I replaced the wifi card with a newer one but aware of the problem, I did not connect it to the internal wifi. Instead, I had it connected to an Apple AirPort Extreme configured as a network extender and the setup worked perfectly. If you are close enough to your internet modem, you could just connect it with a cable. I also upgraded the graphics card to metal which enabled it to run the current system—Mojave, if I remember right. And I hope you have dainty hands because it’s a challenge installing the WiFi-Bluetooth card onto the motherboard.

It worked well for me until the Mac mini came out in 2018 and I simply moved all four hard drives and two SSDs into external cases to the Mac mini. I think it had 32 gibibytes, if not 64, of RAM. It also has two optical drives. Yes, it was a mighty production machine, and nothing wrong with it except for the promise of running the more current system which is vital to my work.

I’m just waiting to send it, along with the (still working) 30" Apple Cinema Display, to an Apple Store or service provider for recycling. If you are close to my location, it’s free to anyone who can use it. I’m in the Silicon Valley area, Mountain View—you know, where Google is headquartered.

Ask a Question