How can I safely dispose of an old iBookG4 and be sure my data is not accessible?

Reaction score
I have an old iBook G4 that I can still turn on - I hear the sound of startup but nothing shows on the screen- just a very fast flash of light in the corner when the sound goes off but that's all. I do not remember if I still have my personal data on here. As I recall, I think this just stopped working? Or this particular notebook might have been the one previous to my MacAir now. And I would have moved my data from the old to the new. Point is, I'm not sure if there is personal info on here.

I'd like to give it to a recycler who takes electronics off your hands. But I don't want them to be able to dig around in there and retrieve my past data.
How can I either feel confident they can't get at the data... or somehow open this up and see if anything is there.
Maybe I'm being too paranoid?

And how do you get at the hard drive on this notebook? I opened the back but I think that is only the battery? Correct?

Thanks for any suggestions/help you can offer.
Linda

Reaction score
Yes, remove and destroy the hard drive with a hammer. You must have removed the bottom half of the case if you can see the battery. The hard drive in there too. Usually it's in the corner. It's rectangular in shape and about the size of a deck of cards but half as thick. It may be covered by an electromagnetic shield which is kind of a film-like cover.

Reaction score
Terry and Harry are 100% right. The hard drive - or very specifically the discs inside - have to be deformed (bent) so they can never spin again. It’s the only way to be sure... A friend with a big hammer or vice will do it.

Ask a Question