Why is my Mac so slow?

Reaction score
I have a somewhat dated Mac. You can see its details in the attached image. Originally it had a disk drive. In 2017 it got so slow I had a SSD put in. For a while things were very spiffy. It still boots quickly, which was the main reason I got the SSD.

But it keeps slowing down when I use it, despite have 16GB of memory to play with and a SSD. Granted I have applications open but typically 8-10 are open. I have periodically done things recommended like cleaned up cache and temporary files. Didn't seem to do much. I've also tried to keep the Activity Monitor going, but when it slows the little spinning wheel starts going, freezing things so I can't really get into it in time to see what the issue may be. I'll do something like use the Vivaldi browser or the LibreOffice suite and the spinning wheel comes on and I wait 30 seconds or more before it fixes whatever the issue is. Sometimes just seconds later if I do something it returns. It's really affecting my productivity.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel like Apple has a built-in slowdown feature to try to nudge you to buy a new machine. Anyhow, I get lots of spinning colors wheels. I'm not really running out of memory. It doesn't appear that I am using too many resources. I'm not using up my memory but it's strange I have so many cached files when I have plenty of memory. See second image.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 11.16.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 11.16.17 AM.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 11.24.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 11.24.38 AM.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 198

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

At first glance, it seems the Vivaldi browser (Vivaldi Helper) is taking up way too many RAM resources...several GBs. Try running everything you run without Vivaldi and see if that helps the issue.

We can delve further if that doesn't help.

C

Ask a Question