Which part do I need to replace?

Reaction score
Hi there!

I recently found my highschool MacBook Pro 13" 2012 back. I thought I'd lost it forever so I'm happy!

But...

The MacBook doesn't properly start anymore. I tried different starting Modi (holding key combinations). They all pop up on the screen I'm supposed to see, but the laptop crashes when I want to continue. I did a hardware test (this blue, oldskool screen) and it said nothing is wrong. I bought a new adapter because it only turns on when it's connected to it. When I want to start it normally I get a guest login information page. I can't do anything. I did remove the harddrive and connected it to my current computer. I thinnnnnk the drive still works because I could copy all the folders (I honestly don't know if it's everything since it's been such a long time ago). So the data is probably saved, but I'd like to discover what is defect or simply parts that are deprecated.

If it's obvious to someone what the problem is or anything, I'd love to hear suggestions! I'm really looking forward to tinkering myself. But just randomly investing and replacing parts seems cumbersome.

Have a nice day!

Mies

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.
  • Which exact model - MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) or MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)?
  • Do you know what version of OS X/macOS is installed on it?
  • Have you tried an SMC and NVRAM reset?
  • How much free space is left on the drive?
  • Did you copy all of your data off the drive in case you need to erase and reinstall?
C

Ask a Question