Which Linux for a Mac User

Reaction score
Hello All.

I want to install linux on my computer. I don't want to shuffle distros around and do a lot of reinstalling, So I am curious what distro you guys use, if any. Most of the forums comparing linux distros seem geared towards windows and linux users. I wanted to know the opinions of the apple computer crowd- people who value the aesthetic and the GUI functionality of Operating Systems.

I'm considering Ubuntu, Fedora, and Mandriva. Ubuntu is the only one i've had hands-on experience with. I like its ease of use and ease of installing apps. I don't like, however, its stale UI and the difficulty it takes to install things that don't go through the Get Apps installer. I want to stay out of the terminal as much as possible. I'm willing to get my hands dirty a bit, but I want to do as much through the GUI as possible.

What Advice can you give me?

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there any specific reason for wanting to install Linux? You have the beauty of both with OSX - the ease of use and GUI, and a unix command line interface (or Linux in other words)

As you want to use the GUI as much as possible, I personally don't see the reason for the installation - Mac OSX is basically Linux (unix) with a very user-friendly interface/better compatibility with ease of use.

I don't know what flavour of Linux to recommend, but my friends site may help somewhat with Ubuntu - be prepared to mess around with command lines though to get things like network drivers working etc:

http://www.ginad.org.uk/

Ric

Reaction score
I've used plenty, but as kyomii say's it depends on what you want to use if for...

I sometimes have a need for Auditor which I use on a live CD,flash drive.

Reaction score
I have been playing with gobolinux, it keeps you out of the terminal as much as possible, and does not use a package manager in the traditional sense. All the apps are stored self contained (much like the way OSX keeps its apps in the Applications folder). It doesn't look fancy at all and needs alot of user customisation but does offer an interesting alternative to the more main-stream distro's that you have already mentioned.

My main linux distro at the moment is CrunchBangLinux, which is based on a slim install of ubuntu, with OpenBox as the main window manager; It runs extremely fast compared to a default ubuntu install but does require you to dip into the terminal to add apps and customise.

The Ubuntu install has a very easy to configure look and feel with lots of available GUI styles dotted around the web, I've had ubuntu installed with a complete OSX look and feel including the dock! The default brown is a little bland, but it is easily change with a few clicks of the mouse.

Ask a Question