Linux ?

Ric

Reaction score
Any Linux users out there ?

If there are how do you think, the MacIntel announcement will affect the Linux community ?

Do you think it will have an impact, till now if you had an Intel box and didn't like Windows your options were fairly limited, Linux, now maybe in the future OS X ?

Reaction score
Okay Ric here we go...
I am studying at the moment for my RHCE.
Been running Linux for ages now and really like RH Enterprise Server (ES) + use Fedore Core 3 and testing 4 right now..it is easy to use and I use a mixture of command line and then GUI.
I am new to MAC but really like FreeBSD need to learn the command set in full.
My main concerns are..especially if you do a bit of programming as I do...
Much of the API level stuff for Windows sucks...it is incredibly complex and prone to instant disaster. If you have noticed Bill Gates is rapidly "learning" from Unix a la Linux etc and implementing correct DNS implementation on Windows in Server 2003 etc which prior to that was a horror show. Linux is coming of age...
I can setup a Linux server or workstation in FAR shorter time than I can a Windows XP machine especially if you do not have a SP2 CD rom. Server 2003 is okay but I know if I set up a web server I am a "sitting duck" if anything goes wrong. Although they have learnt their lessons and lock down all ports by default on setup.
In short to answer your question Steve Jobs would be barmy to take any "lessons" from the Microsoft mantra except what a good job they have done fooling the public for so long. If they had NOT had Microsoft Office where would they be now???

Ask a Question