Which is more powerful, G4 powerPC Powermac or Intel based Mac mini?

Reaction score
Hi, I've currently got a G4 superdrive desktop Powermac with a dual 1.42GHz PowerPC processor.

Whilst it has served me well and it still works fine, I really like the idea of being able to run windows and OSX on the new intel Macs.

I was just wondering how would the Mac mini 1.83GHz Intel core duo superdrive compares with the G4 I currently have, in terms of processor speed and overall performance? Assuming they both have 1 GB of RAM.

Obviously If I were to compare the G4 Powermac I currently have with the G5 Powermacs around now there'd only be one winner, but I would really like to know how my G4 Powermac would compare with an Intel Mac mini? Am I likely to see a pretty big improvement in the Mac mini or would there not be much between them?

Oh, and what's the difference between an Intel core duo processor found on the Mac mini, and an Intel core 2 duo found on the iMac?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Hi,
I couldn't find a benchmark for the 1.83Ghz mini but according to these benchmarks the 1.66GHz Core Duo mini is a lot faster than the Dual PowerPC G4 @ 1.42GHz.

These benchmarks show an "overall performance score"

http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/12/geekbench-comparison-december-2006/

94.9 Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) (PowerPC G4 (7450) @ 1.42GHz x 2)
163.6 Mac mini (Early 2006) (Intel Core Duo @ 1.66GHz x 2)

The difference between "Core Duo" and "Core 2 Duo" is better performance and lower power consumption (power consumption is important for laptop users).

Hope this helps,
Steve.

Reaction score
Thanks Steve, it's a big help.

Just to clarify, are you saying the Core 2 duo has the better performance and lower power consumption than the the Core duo?

I'm trying to decide whether to go for the Mac mini 1.83GHz Core duo or the iMac 1.83GHz Core 2 duo. If the Core 2 Duo is the better processor then I don't mind spending the £120 on the iMac.

Reaction score
Think of the 'Core 2 Duo' as 'Core Duo revision 2', it's a revised version of (an already good) chip, (improved performance and power use).

Mini vs iMac? Some people would prefer the iMac due to having better graphics capabilities than the mini.

I heard a roumor that the Mac Mini is being phased out and may only see a few more updates before being discontinued, so if you decide to go mini don't leave it too long..

Steve.

Reaction score
Cheers.

Well if the Core 2 duo is the better chip of the two then I suppose I'll go for the iMac as the Mac mini only has the Core duo, although I really do prefer how the Mac mini looks.

Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Would you kick yourself if the next revision to the Mac mini was to pop a Core 2 Duo in there?

Given that is what the last revision to the MacBook was, I think it's quite possible it will happen but when I don't know.

Steve.

Reaction score
Probably, but if you start thinking that way you'd never buy a Mac as you know there's a good chance that in a matter of months what you've bought now will be nowhere near as good as whatever will come next.

I had that before when I bought my G4 Powermac 1.42GHz about four years ago. At the time it was the most powerful Mac you could buy and I was the envy of everyone I knew, but about Six months later Apple brought out the first G5's which were 1.6GHz 1.8GHZ & 2GHz. I was pretty gutted at the time because my G4 cost just over 2 grand but if I had waited a while longer for the same money I could have got a G5.

Funny thing was I had a few friends who bought those first G5's, and for a while they they had the bragging rights about having the most powerful Macs available. But it wasn't too long before Apple then brought out the 2.5GHz model and not long after that they started releasing the Intel Macs.

The technology inside these computers seems to move so fast that all you can do is weigh up what you need when you need it and just take a chance in the hope that a newer version of what you've bought for the same price isn't just around the corner.:)

Ask a Question