Where's my email gone to?

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to Macs - son gave me his iMac
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) Intel i5 12gb RAM.

I accepted updates to Maverick OS and I'm sure I told it to update to El Capitan, but yesterday, when I came to install MS Office, it told me I needed the latest OS and when I went and found it, it turned out to be El Capitan!

I am pleased to say that it has restore 'Photos', which was completely missing from my Mac, but now both my iCloud email and my Plusnet email don't work. My gmail email is still there. So I'm puzzled about that.

Still a bit scared of this thing after 20 years of using a PC, so thought I'd ask about things, as I'm still learning and don't want to mess things up.

Also, do I need to install virus and firewall software? The only person I know to ask these things is Mr Sensible and double checks everything in life, not just his Mac. So perhaps someone could tell me if I should get one?

And finally, can anyone recommend any GOOD tutorials on Youtube or anywhere? As it is, each time I want to learn how to do something or find out a key board short cut, I have to google it. A beginners guide to all things Mac would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner.

-Which version of Microsoft Office are you running?
-Which app do you use for email - Apple Mail, Microsoft Outlook, etc?

No need to be scared of the Mac...it is much easier to use than a PC, once you get the basics down. You don't need to install any anti-virus or firewall software. OS X has a firewall built-in, but most folks never tun it on.

-What brand/model is you router for Wi-Fi?

As far as good tutorials, here are a few good links to check out:

Mac Basics - Apple Support
Mac Basics - Switching PC Habits - Apple Support
Mac keyboard shortcuts

Also, David Pogue's The Missing Manual series are great books for all Mac users.

C

Ask a Question