Where to obtain libdvdcss 64 bit for Mac Catalina

Reaction score
I want to have a backup copy of some of my favorite DVD's but some are copyrighted. I have worked with Handbrake in the past with some success but you need to install Homebrew and libdvdcss. To use terminal on Catalina the shell must be zsh which I have updated. But I have not been able to locate a 64bit source for libdvdcss. If I try to install it with what is available an error shows that it is not compatible with this IOS. Appreciate any help. LJB

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to install VMware's free product (player?), install Linux in VMWare, probably Linux Mint (https://linuxmint.com/download.php), the "Mate`" edition and then use Linux to rip the DVDs. You can set up sharing between the host and guest and it should see all of your hardware. That way you don't have to install HomeBrew, etc and "taint" your MacOS install.

I run both FreeBSD and Linux on VMWare on MacOS and have never had any issues, albeit I have never ripped a DVD but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Reaction score
No, I mean VMWare Fusion player for MacOS. Sorry if I didn't mention "Fusion" earlier. VMWare runs as a virtualization platform and you install Linux into a virtual machine which runs on VMWare on your Mac. Essentially you install VMWare Fusion, then start Fusion and it walks you through installing a "guest" operating system, which is self contained in the VMWare environment.

You will have to register Fusion Player for personal use so you'll have to create an account. It's free.

Sorry if I wasn't completely clear earlier.

Reaction score
My need is to rip/copy DVD's that are copyrighted. Will your recommendations allow DVD's to be decrypted so they can then be burned to a blank DVD??

Reaction score
If in Linux with libdvdcss you can do that, then all my solution does is allow you to run Linux so you can install libdvdcss. I have never ripped a DVD so can't speak to how well libdvdcss works.

Reaction score
I found a solution to this problem. One needs to download the libdvdcss package that is on this website (https://www.winxdvd.com/resource/install-handbrake-libdvdcss-to-rip-dvd.htm#2) and install on your computer. This is version 1.4.2 which must be 64bit as it is accepted on this 64bit IOS computer. Apparently there is a 1.4.3 version out that is for Windows only?? Handbrake will pick up this dll and use it to rip a copy protected DVD. It will create a MP4 version which plays well on the computer but if burned to a disc it will not play in a standard DVD player. For this to occur the MP4 needs to be converted to a DVD format. I have not found an open source thus far that will support this conversion.

Ask a Question