Where is my MEGA download? It's untraceable!

Reaction score
Running Ventura 13.4 on a 2019 MacBook Pro. I downloaded a 7GB file from MEGA (cloud storage) which should've gone to my downloads folder on completion, but didn't. Searching by filename turns up zilch.

Google searches have informed me that MEGA's encryption specs mean that a large file may be split and the pieces temp-stored in different locations, which on download-completion are 'reconstituted' in the Downloads folder, but that if a download is interrupted (which it was, and then auto-resumed) it may end up elsewhere (like somewhere in your User Library folder). A couple of online answers to Mac users who've run into the same problem suggest the paths in the image attached. Neither worked for me, and info called up on the specified folders in my user-library cited sizes in mere bytes, so no 7GB file there.

Has anyone had this problem? Can you help?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 10.13.46 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 10.13.46 pm.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Thanks Cory, yes I'm awaiting a response from their Support. I tried downloading the file a second time and while it did land in my downloads folder it vanished when I opened the folder and (after a 4-hour download wait) told me I had insufficient storage space (no doubt caused by the first unfindable download!) I wonder why I couldn't have been notified of the space issue sometime earlier than download 'completion'... Depending on their answer, I'm ready to fanfare an anti-recommendation!

Reaction score
Hi Nygy,

When you download a file from Mega, it caches the file until it is completely downloads it, and then moves it to your downloads folder.

Depending on what browser you use will depend on where the temporary files are.

Reaction score
Ahh OK, the file never made it to Downloads, so I'll explore my Brave viscera. Thanks again Macbug!

Ask a Question