SOLVED When I scroll through a website the site jumps erratically, followed by the little spinning rainbow of death. Help.

Reaction score
When I scroll through a website the site jumps erratically, followed by the little spinning rainbow of death. Help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-How much free space is left of your drive?
-Which brand/model mouse?
-Which browser and version?
-Any third-party utilities like MacKeeper, antivirus, etc. installed?

C

Reaction score
Thank you for responding
1. iMac 21.5 inch from 2013
2. Mojave 10.14.6
3. 913 gb of 1.12 Tb
4. Apple remote mouse
5. Safari
6. Malwarebytes, free version, Norton not-enabled

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ok, thanks.

I can replicate a little of what you are seeing on the WSJ site...probably due to all of the ads and dynamic content loading. Do you have any Safari Extensions added...especially ad blockers?

C

Reaction score
I looked at Extensions and didn't see any extensions added and didn't recall making any entries there. But I did discover within Safari that ad blockers was enabled. I turned that off. That helped solve the scrolling problem. I'm getting the spinning rainbow as content is loading. Then a message came across the screen telling me the website was using significant amount of energy and suggested closing the site to improve the Mac's performance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

It could just be that your history and caches are quite large. You can clear just history by clicking History > Show All History, select all, and press Delete. You can clear history using Safari > Clear History... > Clear: all history, but that clears history, cookies, etc. on all devices logged into your iCloud account. You may have to log back into website you use, so make sure you know your website usernames and passwords before using this option.

C

Reaction score
I have cleared my history several times over the past few days and there has been no improvement. I called the WSJ customer service just now and discovered that I'm not alone with this problem. It seems the combination of WSJ's website and Safari is problematic. While I had them on the line I switched from Safari to Chromium and opened the WSJ website and it's working very well. I don't know if this means my problem has been solved by Mac-Help standards, being new to this website. But at least I can read the WSJ again.
I thank you for your attention and help. I appreciate your suggestions and patience.
David

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad you found a solution.

As far as the forum here, issues are resolved when you feel they are. Since it sounds like it is a WSJ website issue, there isn't really anything additional we can offer. It is always a good idea to try another browser when experiencing website issues.

Thanks for letting us know what has been identified as the issue, as it may benefit other members.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question