Scrolling limited to scroll bar only

Reaction score
A short while ago, my IMAC (El Capitan) suddenly forced me to scroll by going up and down the scroll bar ONLY. I can't possibly be that concise, that patient, or that steady, trying to locate emails (primary problem area) in Apple Mail, or simply moving around in Safari. This gives me agida! Help, please.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Are you using an Apple Mouse? If so, which model (i.e. does it have a gray rubber scroll wheel or not)?
-Have you checked the scrolling settings in  > System Preferences... > Mouse?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Are you using an Apple Mouse? If so, which model (i.e. does it have a gray rubber scroll wheel or not)?
-Have you checked the scrolling settings in  > System Preferences... > Mouse?

C

I was using an Apple mouse til about 2 months ago, when I could not get it to stay powered on. Interestingly, the light came on in a pattern: dot, dot space, dot, dot, space. I tried it again now, when I read your reply. with the same result….til 5 minutes later and it came on steadily! My Mac mouse is 5 years old, with 2 bars down the two sides of the battery cover. The problem started - if I remember correctly - about the same time the mouse started to go crazy. I tried to change the scroll speed with little change. I still can’t use anything but the scroll bar. Using my original Apple house is too slow and drags on the pad. I want to get away from having to use the scroll bar!

Thanks for trying to help.

Ask a Question