What's New In AppleTV?

Reaction score
Our AppleTV is something like five years old. It still works, but we don't use it much since we got Roku. I'm wondering if there have been any compelling features added to AppleTV in recent years? Can anyone suggest reasons we should consider upgrading our AppleTV box? Thanks.

Reaction score
I imagine you have an AppleTV 3? Many apps don't work with AppleTV 3 anymore like YouTube and Disney. You're also very limited on what apps you can use.

Apple TV 4 opens up the system to developers and there's a lot more apps you can manually download and get a lot more use out of the system. Apple TV 4 also comes with a hard drive and storage space now so you can download content directly onto your box. With the VLC app you can stream video from your iMac. Or you can copy video over to the HD using the VLC app. Apparently it opens up a lot more gaming capabilities too.

The next generation of AppleTV 4K was just released. I don't have a 4K system so I don't know the benefits of the lastest model or what upgrades it has.

Reaction score
I have a 4K 5th gen (bought December 2020) and I love it but this is my first Apple TV. We have Rokus on all the other TVs. I like Roku and have been a user for years but this Apple TV works very well, albeit like everything Apple, it was pricey. Oddly enough the remote is terrible and took a lot of getting used to. Now that I have gotten used to the trackpad, I actually prefer it. I can control the Apple TV with my phone as well so that's an option also.

I initially had some issues with the HBO app - would require a device restart to access but that appears to be fixed. I am happy with mine.

Ask a Question