What's the purpose of .DS_Store file?

Reaction score
I just made my Mac show hidden files using terminal command defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES & killall Finder. Now I want to put this in my knowledge that why .DS_Store file exist on everywhere on Mac OS X? What its special purpose, even though I put this in trash it bounce back to its location.

Thanks!!!!

Reaction score
It stores the Icon locations and custom Icon information for each folder. There maybe other information in the DS_Store.

Note: There are many many hidden files in the OSX system, and they are hidden for a reason. If you delete the wrong ones you may make your Mac unusable!

Reaction score
Though DS_Store can't be deleted. But I got rid of few apps that were showing up even after their removal. Those hidden folders gave me access to delete the folders from Macintosh OS<Mac-Mini<Preferences and they are gone for good. Yes, I was careful about apps and other files. Thanks Again.

Ask a Question