What is taking up space on my Macbook?

Reaction score
I'm trying to free up space on a Macbook Air 13" which has a 128GB hard drive. When I use finder to discriminate file sizes, only 7 files are a little over 1GB each. 90% of the files on the Mac are photos and audio, but according to the hard drive analysis under the "storage" tab accessed with the apple icon, these only account for about 13GB of the hard drive. The blue line which is called "other" takes up 92GB of space, but finder does not show any large body of files that is not audio or photos. What in the world is going on?

• There are no large files on the Mac.
  • 90% of files in finder are audio or photos.
  • 92GB of space is taken up by "other", only 13GB by audio/photos.

Reaction score
I would suggest you download and install the excellent freeware program Grand Perspective. You can get it from here:

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

I have used it, and it is excellent! I was not having serious space issues, but it definitely helped me to get rid of some unneeded stuff.

Reaction score
I'm trying to free up space on a Macbook Air 13" which has a 128GB hard drive. When I use finder to discriminate file sizes, only 7 files are a little over 1GB each. 90% of the files on the Mac are photos and audio, but according to the hard drive analysis under the "storage" tab accessed with the apple icon, these only account for about 13GB of the hard drive. The blue line which is called "other" takes up 92GB of space, but finder does not show any large body of files that is not audio or photos. What in the world is going on?

• There are no large files on the Mac.
  • 90% of files in finder are audio or photos.
  • 92GB of space is taken up by "other", only 13GB by audio/photos.

Reaction score
Hello. I had a similar problem with my iPhone & iPad running the last 3 versions of iOS 10.x. After spending numerous hours looking for a solution, and about 6 ours with Apple's Tech support, to no avail, I discovered by accident that it has something to do with iCloud. iCloud was loading up my iPhone and iPad with 'other' files to the tune of about 10.5 GB, on a 13GB iPhone/iPad. Once I turned off iCloud, I was able to use the tools' built-in memory for photos, games, apps, etc. However, I still have problems with the phone's and iPad's memory when I connect to iCloud, and Apple has not been able to provide me with a solution. However I can now at least use the tool. My suggestion is to disconnect from iCloud and see if this makes a difference. It did for me.

Ask a Question