What is it about USB C hubs.?

Reaction score
(now have a 24" M1 iMac) and finding all the so called USB c hubs that I have seen with have up to 4 USB 3 ports, and some other combinations of different ports and adapters.

yet when I was using my 27" 2012 iMac USB 3 I had hubs that would have up to 7 usb3 ports... why the downgrade.. (I have tried UBB 3 to USBC adapters), and none have worked.

I have 2 different printers and a large format scanner and digitising Tablets etc... and I prefers a cabled Mouse and Keyboard when using Photoshop... Yes there are newer things out there, but I am 70 and set in my ways.

just puzzled why no USB c 7 port USB 3 hubs etc... (I hate doing Bluetooth and Wireless, and all the passwords mess.

regards
Sandy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I would guess it is just the direction of the industry. Because the newer connections are able to daisy-chain devices, there is less need for external powered hubs with a large number of ports. Also, Bluetooth wireless devices are very common now, and are the default when purchasing new Macs. The old USB 2/3 devices and ports are slowing being dropped. Current hubs have a couple of those ports to enable use of older devices that are still supported by current hardware/software, but they are disappearing with each year that passes.

Unfortunately, as technology advances, older peripherals will stop being supported by newer Macs and macOS versions. You will then need to start replacing them with current models. If you get 5-10 years of usage with an older device, that is the exception and not the norm.

C

Reaction score
yes I am sure you are right. but I still prefer the old hard wired solutions. old fashioned to the end. I have a large format printer that does Bluetooth/wifi, and when I first stet it up it and started too print the "link" got 'interference' and only got half way though printing and that cost mea half A3 load of ink and the paper..

Reaction score
Hello,

I would guess it is just the direction of the industry. Because the newer connections are able to daisy-chain devices, there is less need for external powered hubs with a large number of ports. Also, Bluetooth wireless devices are very common now, and are the default when purchasing new Macs. The old USB 2/3 devices and ports are slowing being dropped. Current hubs have a couple of those ports to enable use of older devices that are still supported by current hardware/software, but they are disappearing with each year that passes.

Unfortunately, as technology advances, older peripherals will stop being supported by newer Macs and macOS versions. You will then need to start replacing them with current models. If you get 5-10 years of usage with an older device, that is the exception and not the norm.

C
Whatever happened to choice? A computer is a tool and should continue to be as useful as it’s intended original purpose was by the person who purchased it. I am sick of being strong armed into shelling out more and more money by tech companies, it’s pure greed on their part. Each update renders my iMac slower and slower and now almost unusable it’s so slow. Updates also cost me my pre installed package for word , my adobe creative suite both of who now want a monthly fee! I write maybe six documents a month and play around with photoshop, now a thing of the past. iMovie now sucks too, I’m done with apple.

Reaction score
Whatever happened to choice? A computer is a tool and should continue to be as useful as it’s intended original purpose was by the person who purchased it. I am sick of being strong armed into shelling out more and more money by tech companies, it’s pure greed on their part. Each update renders my iMac slower and slower and now almost unusable it’s so slow. Updates also cost me my pre installed package for word , my adobe creative suite both of who now want a monthly fee! I write maybe six documents a month and play around with photoshop, now a thing of the past. iMovie now sucks too, I’m done with apple.
I agree, and that is why I stayed with my old 2012 iMac... it wasn't perfect but it was stable and worked and interfaced with everything I had... now I am just finding out how incompatible my ne M1 iMac is , and it am getting angry about features in older programs, being dropped or not supported in newer OS's... I love the speed of the ne M1 iMac... but dam it sis also so dam frustrating...

apple has a problem in that it creates , invents and support newer technologies, whirl leaving users of old to fend for themselves, and hoping 3rd parts makers will fill the gaps... like when the cam out with the original Boni Blue iMac, and left previous Mac users with no way of getting access to their floppy drives for ages till other companies came out with drives.

Regards, Sandy...

Reaction score
I agree, and that is why I stayed with my old 2012 iMac... it wasn't perfect but it was stable and worked and interfaced with everything I had... now I am just finding out how incompatible my ne M1 iMac is , and it am getting angry about features in older programs, being dropped or not supported in newer OS's... I love the speed of the ne M1 iMac... but dam it sis also so dam frustrating...

apple has a problem in that it creates , invents and support newer technologies, whirl leaving users of old to fend for themselves, and hoping 3rd parts makers will fill the gaps... like when the cam out with the original Boni Blue iMac, and left previous Mac users with no way of getting access to their floppy drives for ages till other companies came out with drives.

Regards, Sandy...
There are still lots of USB-A hubs available for cheap, and if the peripherals you need to connect, including your keyboard and mouse or trackpad, are USB-A, just get a USB-C tot USB-A adapter for the hub to use up one of the Thunderbolt ports on the iMac.

The charging cables for your keyboard/trackpad/mouse probably came with USB-C to Lightning cables, but USB-A to Lightning cables are now also inexpensive. And welcome to the septuagenarian club. We are just getting started! And I’m loving my Mac Studio even if I’m already overtaxing it after less than a month’s use.

Reaction score
that is what I am doing at present... the old USB 1 and 2 used to have a limit of 127 or so devices that could be daisy chain.. I wonder if anyone had done any similar tests since.?

regards
Sandy

Ask a Question