Mac Mini M1 <> Dell S2422HZ "No USB-C signal from device" after reboot

Reaction score
We have a new Mac Mini (M1 2020) running Monterey 12.2 with a Dell S2422Hz connected via a Dell-supplied USB-C cable.

When i power on the IMac and connect the monitor, everything is fine. The monitor and its built in camera and microphone work fine.

If I reboot with the monitor powered on, the message "No USB-C signal from device" is displayed as part of the boot sequence.

At that point, the monitor's internal USB devices no longer work: The speaker, "S2422HZ" and microphone, "S2422HZ USB" are no longer listed as input and output sources.

if I power off the monitor, leaving the Mac Mini running, and power it back on, the start sequence error message is gone and the speaker and microphone are restored to normal function.

I'd like to try a Thunderbolt to Displayport cable to see if that gets around the error, but I can't figure out how to tell a "unidirectional" from "bidirectional" cable so I can order the correct cable. Please recommend a cable that I should order.

Also, the monitor is at Firmware 5J3P093. How do I tell if this error, that seems like a timing error in the monitor input scan routine if fixed in a later firmware?

Calls to Dell so far have resulted in them explaining the Dell return policy. I like the monitor, this is a simple bug in the monitor firmware I believe, and I can use it as is if I am assured a fix is on the way.

Thank you

Stu ((e-mail address removed))

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.
  • Have you tried connecting the Mac mini via an HDMI cable to see if it wakes the Dell display properly?
  • Are there any settings on the Dell to set a default input instead of auto-sensing?
C

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

I don’t have an HDMI port on the monitor. I do have a Visio connected via the HDMI port and it works fine.

The monitor has a display port that never works with the USB over USB-C devices.

The USB-C Connection works as described and is probably just gonna have to be good enough.

Dell is authorized to return of the monitor we like the performance and when we play with it we can get the microphone on speaker to work so we’ll just live with less than satisfactory Dell support.

Ask a Question