What is Apple Mail's version of Outlook's .nk2?

Reaction score
My email needs are very simple. That's why recently I was content to quit a dying Outlook for Mac:2011 and start using the free Apple Mail.

One of the Outlook tools I liked was probably called predictive email addressing. I know Apple Mail has it because it responded to my tests. In Outlook, it used a file extension of .nk2 in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Outlook, and nk2edit was available for maintaining it.

Can anyone give me the corresponding information about Apple Mail?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

"The file extension .nk2 is used to represent the AutoComplete file of Microsoft Outlook 2002 and later." Apple Mail has this function as well, but the database file is buried in the bowels of the Mail preferences in the hidden User folder. I believe they are stored in a plist file (preference list), but I am not sure. I do know that Apple does not have an actual editor app like Outlook does. However, in Mail you can choose Window > Previous Recipients from the menu bar to view the entries and remove those that are invalid/incorrect. Mail will automatically auto-fill entries from your Contacts.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question