want to reinstall osx on ibookG4. please help!!!

Reaction score
Hi

I have an ibook power pc g4 running osx 10.4.11 and it has started to crash every day - from loading photos from my camera onto iphoto and especially when on the internet running safari or firefox.

It is doing my head in and ive got to the point where i want to wipe the hard drive after saving all my music, files and photos and reinstall the installation disks.

All I want is some straightforward easy to follow bullet point advice on doing this - Im a complete novice on macs but am confident of doing it as long as the advice and procedure is made clear.

please help - im desperate.

thx

Reaction score
The problem could be solved without having to reinstall the OS. First try to repair permissions. According to Apple, occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from working as it should. See this article. So, you might want to try to run Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Open the application, select the mounted volume for your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions."

Did you recently install any applications or memory in your computer? Try to think about when you started having these crashes and what might have changed prior to that. Sometimes a new application you install can create problems with others and cause crashes. For example, not too long ago, a desktop Hulu application was causing multiple crashes in Firefox.

Ask a Question