VLC Media Player install problems

Reaction score
I'm using a Mac Mini 2010 2.66 Ghz as an HTPC. I'm using Snow Leopard. I tried to install VLC and somehow I screwed it up and couldn't drag the icon to the applications folder. I trashed all the components I could find and re-installed it; but still have the same problems. With the second installation, it didn't give me the same steps as the first one, which prompts you to drag the icon to the Apps folder. The Applications folder is showing a VLC icon but not the cone, instead a sheaf of papers with a white circle with a line through it. I can't launch the app from there; but VLC will work from the disk image. I'm stuck there and can't make any progress. I've never had any problems installing anything else, so I'm not sure what the problems are from.

The people at the VLC help forums haven't been much help, prompting me to do the same thing over and over; but it won't let me do it.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try dragging the VLC app icon onto your Desktop instead, then drag it from the Desktop onto your Applications Folder, does that work?

Otherwise, try repairing Permissions with Disc Utility then restarting & re-dowloading the Snow Leopard Version of VLC (ver 2.2.1) from here.

Ask a Question