vertical scrolling jerky

Reaction score
I have had my iMac for about a year and still have a lot to learn. The current problem is weird. I am using the mouse that came with the machine, with the scrolling ball on top. If I restart the computer, the vertical scrolling works normally. But as I surf, little by little, it starts to get jerky, just a little at a time. The more I surf, the wilder the jumps get until there is a long hesitation and then big jumps on the screen. Anybody got any ideas?

Reaction score
When was the last time you ran Disk Utilities and repaired permissions? According to Apple, occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from working as it should. See this article. So, you might want to try to run Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Open the application, select the mounted volume for your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions."

Reaction score
After you fix permissions, try deleting the Empty Cache from the Safari menu in Safari; I'm assuming this is a Safari issue since you said you're "surfing." You might also try downloading Onyx and run the maintenance utilities. Just follow the directions and nothing bad should happen to your machine: http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/download.html

Reaction score
Thanks all, I did run the Disk utilities and that fixed some other stuff. Just wondering, if I delete Empty Cache, then how do I empty the cache in the future. I will look into Onyx.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Hi, emptying the cache only gets rid of temporary files. One of the common problems with browsers is that the cache might become corrupt. As you use Safari, the temporary file will create itself again, just without the old.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If I delete Empty Cache, then how do I empty the cache in the future.

You aren't deleting the "Empty Cache" option, just the Cache .... so in future you would simply empty the Cache in the same way, just as you can repeatedly empty the Trash on the desktop.

OnyX is a very useful app for cleaning out the system but just remember not to do anything on your Computer while the individual Cleaning/Maintenance Tasks are running ....

Just let OnyX do it's thing and when it's finished, then you can go about your normal habits.

Personally I only use the Cleaning and Maintenance sections (in that order) and leave everything else alone.

Please read the OnyX Help file before you use any other features, to be safe.

20080226-b4tg2m4a865jup9xxq2bw8jnxk.jpg

Ask a Question