Using Automator to quit Finder

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently became a user of Pathfinder and it quite effectively replaces the functionality (and then some) of Finder. So I've been trying to build an Automator script to automatically quit Finder at login.

I have successfully done this, sort of.

I have created a workflow (listed at the bottom of this thread) that I saved as an app and set up as a login item on my profile. I also have it saved as a workflow. It's built to quit finder, then remove it from the dock.

Here's the strange part:

1) when I run the app manually (or automatically as a login item), it kills Finder but won't remove it from the dock
2) when I run the workflow manually, it kills Finder and removes it from the dock
3) when I set up the workflow as a login item, Automator just opens and the process doesn't run

Admittedly, I pieced together the workflow by finding various components in different forums, so it is far from original work :)

Also, is it possible to have Automator run in the background when this script runs?

Here's the workflow (2 elements); any suggestions are appreciated:

Run Shell Script (this kills Finder)

cat
osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to quit'

Run AppleScript (this removes Finder from dock)

on run {input, parameters}
tell application "System Events" to tell process "Dock"
tell UI element "Finder" of list 1
perform action "AXShowMenu"
click menu item "Remove from Dock" of menu 1
end tell
end tell
return input
end run

Ask a Question