USB stick copy speed

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand my slowness in copying to a USB stick. This stick is USB2, so speed is not optimal, but I'm looking at on the order of an hour to copy 10GB onto it. I always thought that USB2 was supposed to be good for 30-ish MB/s, which is vastly faster than what I'm seeing. I have checked all the speed fixes in https://www.ibeesoft.com/recover-mac/fix-usb-slow-transfer-speed-on-mac.html, and see no room for improvement in those ways. I'm using Monterey on an M1 iMac. Shouldn't i be expecting something a LOT faster? I'm not using the USB bandwidth for anything else simultaneously.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The theoretical transfer speed of USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps (60MB/sec). There is a lot of overhead with USB, up to 25-30%. There are also variations for brand of USB stick, other processes, number of files and file sizes, writing to is much slower than reading from, etc.

I have seen some brands of USB sticks take forever to write to, especially USB 2.0.

C

Reaction score
My USB transfer speed is really slow on my iMac I am running Mac OS Monterey and ideas how to speed it up please, it was ok but now Meh

Reaction score
Hi Nuggets,

The speed on USB devices will depend on what you're transferring to. Many USB Flash drives have a write speed of 7 - 15 MB/sec vs an external SSD that when connected to USB 3 can transfer at speeds over 500MB.Sec.

Reaction score
I sorted it out by making VLC my default for films etc instead of Vidio player its much faster now when transferring films to my USB.

Ask a Question