USB files now all .lnk?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Windows could have changed those file extensions to .lnk, which are Microsoft Windows shortcut files.

You could try and change the extension of one of the files to whatever file type they were and see if it will open.

C
hello...i recently inserted my flash drive into a rite aid photo machine and it seems to have changed my folder with .jpg files into an .lnk file...what happened? how can i get them back? i was using a MAC initially...thanks

Reaction score
hello...i recently inserted my flash drive into a rite aid photo machine and it seems to have changed my folder with .jpg files into an .lnk file...what happened? how can i get them back? i was using a MAC initially...thanks

Reaction score
Yes, scan files will be MBs large.

Try this,
Double Click on the Drive to open a window into it.
In Search Field press Space key
This will show you the Search Ribbon
Ensure the Search location is the USB Drive
Click the round Plus button
Set Kind is Image

Did it find anything?

I want to note this worked to recovery the files from my buggy usb drive. Previously I even downloaded Recuva file recovery software and it said the files were unrecoverable. The files did not show up under "image" or "document" but under "size: small/large/medium"

jes

Reaction score
1. Go into the drive
2. in search field type "type:" without ", it will list all data on the drive
3. copy and paste it into other drive/folder

Reaction score
I spent hours trying every suggestion I found in these forums and none worked.

Until I found this one (from http://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-showhide-hidden-files-mac-os-x-mavericks/)
  1. Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities
  2. In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
  3. Press return
  4. Hold the ‘Option/alt’ key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.
At this point you can see every hidden file on your computer, including the hidden files in your USB.
That was the only way I could find all my original files, and then copy them to my desktop.

After that, go back to Terminal to hide the files again, following the same steps but replace the Terminal command with:

1. In Terminal, paste: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
Once I assured I had all my files saved in my computer, I formatted the usb and got rid of the virus as well...

Hope it helps!

I did a small correction to MariMoura's steps and was able to restore all data in my pen drive.

Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities
[*]In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
[*]Press return
[*]Hold the ‘Option/alt’ key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.
[/LIST]
At this point you can see every hidden file on your computer, including the hidden files in your USB.

Last step need not be done "to save the files to your computer'. Instead, what I noticed is all your files are present, its actually hidden and the parent folder is not having a name. I just renamed that parent folder (and gave it a name).

Next
[*]In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

You data is back in the renamed folder.

Just delete the .lnk file. All you data is back.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Sekar

Reaction score
Hey i found the solution to this simple problem(I'm a macbook user) but it works better on a windows computer/laptop because that's the source of the problem... please follow the steps, you will get what you want!!!!!

When you open your infected hard drive,
Click on view up on top....Then
Click on options on the far right... Then
Click on Change settings for operating items...
Then.. click on view
Then... UNTICK " Hide protected operating system
files" and TICK " Show hidden Files and Folders" THEN Click APPLY and OK
you will be able to see your files.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

Click Control+A ... Then right Click and CUT, then PEST it on the Desktop of " YOUR " External Hard Drive/usb stick
BUT
DO NOT WAIT FOR IT TO FINISH UP TO 100% because it runs so fast

At Exactly 99% or 98% PULL OUT YOUR HARD DRIVE or USB Stick from the computer
AND DO NOT PUT IT BACK IN A WINDOWS COMPUTER
CHECK IT ON A MAC AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE ALL YOUR FOLDERS THE WAY THEY WERE working as before!!!

Then you can delete the short cut folder after confirming that you have all your folders or data

TRUSTS ME IT WORKS!!!!!

In case you want to thank me!! That's my paypal
@hakimbarry111

Ask a Question