URGENT: Mac/PC Networking Problem needs solution and Guru...

Reaction score
****, the network went down after my ISP made changes to hardware and the Netgear router will no longer connect to their servers via PPPOE dial-in. No one knows why, least of all me who can just sit and say "it WAS working." But I happened to have a Airport Express (bought originally to charge my ipod shuffle, and since in a drawer) and turned it into an Airport Base Station (ya gotta love apple). BUT, i have no clue how to connect that wireless network to the netgear one, or any other way of connecting the two. Please study the below diagram for details. Please help soon as those in the red zone are screaming at ME, like it's my fault or something. In the meantime, I am sitting on the top floor with internet and i can get to my files...
So there...:eek:
phoenix_netwo2.jpg

Ps. I also have another dlink router, and an antique Farallon Starlet/4 hub/switch to throw in the mix, if only I knew where. Thanks all!!!!

Reaction score
I have found it very hard to connect to wireless divices but it is possible put I had to use a repeater. A repeater will find the main source and aloow you to connect. It has a port on it so you can hook it into your router.

I have tried on many times to get it to work but the older the router the hard it is going to be. If I remember correctly you have to somehow assign the mac id of the main unit to the on you want to secondary unit. when it will work. If I come up with another idea I will post it to you

Reaction score
Solution: Netgear Wireless Router to the Trash...

I have found it very hard to connect to wireless divices but it is possible put I had to use a repeater. A repeater will find the main source and aloow you to connect. It has a port on it so you can hook it into your router.

I have tried on many times to get it to work but the older the router the hard it is going to be. If I remember correctly you have to somehow assign the mac id of the main unit to the on you want to secondary unit. when it will work. If I come up with another idea I will post it to you

Hey thanks for that!! That was the one thing i did not try: spoofing the macID with the Airport Express. Good Idea but I already trashed the Netgear which was always a problem (p2p clogging), so here is a solution that works, made from stuff in the junk drawer (all should note that ICS did not work, but Bridging the usb wireless with the network card did):
phoenix_network_final.jpg

Ask a Question