SOLVED Updating the OS on my Mac

Reaction score
Can I update my Mac to the Monterrey OS? I am currently running Big Sur with no issues, but my Mac is getting long in the tooth. Does it have the horsepower?
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 7.54.22 PM.png

Reaction score
Can I update my Mac to the Monterrey OS? I am currently running Big Sur with no issues, but my Mac is getting long in the tooth. Does it have the horsepower?View attachment 4306
Unfortunately your model iMac can only go up to macOS Big Sur version 11.6.3. To verify this, boot into Recovery to see what version of macOS it will offer up. To ensure good response, if you are using a bluetooth keyboard, connect it to USB. From shutdown, power up and immediately hold down command-R until the Recovery screen comes up. You should be able to work your way through the steps. For your info, your model identifier is iMac15,1.

Reaction score
Thanks Tony
I never upgraded, but Apple sends me those annoying notes to upgrade and I am always sceptical.
When I go to software updates, it offers macOS Big Sur 11.6.5. Should I go ahead with that upgrade?

Reaction score
Thanks Tony
I never upgraded, but Apple sends me those annoying notes to upgrade and I am always sceptical.
When I go to software updates, it offers macOS Big Sur 11.6.5. Should I go ahead with that upgrade?
If you’re nervous about upgrading your macOS, just maintain a backup of your system with Time Machine so that if anything goes south, or you are not happy with the new macOS, you can always downgrade to your previous version. This is not that simple to do, I must admit, but perfectly doable with a little help from friends, and with a Time Machine backup—preferably to at least two different drives.

Upgrades are not just for new features. Along with any new version of macOS come security updates as well as bug fixes.

Reaction score
Great help... now if I could only get time machine to work properly, I'll know what to do.
Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Great help... now if I could only get time machine to work properly, I'll know what to do.
Thanks so much!
If you don’t have a Time Machine backup now and have a drive ready to use for it, I suggest using Disk Utility to erase it. Choose APFS for the format and give it a name to tell you that it is your Time Machine drive. After it’s done formatting, open System Preferences -> Time Machine. Unlock it and click on “Add or Remove Backup Disk…” and select the drive that you prepared. Click to check “Encrypt Backups” and you’re ready to start backing up!

Ask a Question