"updates available"

Reaction score
Every once in a while I get a notification that updates are available. When I say to install them, it takes me through a screen and always says that my apple ID has never been used before, although this is the umpteenth time I have been to the screen. All is well until it asks for a credit card number, which I will not put in because I am not buying anything. Then it all goes away until the next time it says "updates available." My PC used to update all the time without my permission (Big Brother Knows Best) until it was completely ruined, which is why I went back to a Mac. So why is it telling me to update and then asking for a credit card number that there is no way I'm going to give out?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Depending on which operating system you are running, all updates are done either via Software Update in the  menu or via the App Store. You'll find the App Store icon in your Dock or in your Applications folder once again depending on your OS version.

Have you been experiencing this situation whilst trying to update via either of the above options?

Or are you trying to install updates elsewhere?

Reaction score
I'm on 10.9.5. I haven't done any updates because I'm not having any problems. The only situation has been when the computer tells me updates are available, I decide to see what they are, and the above scenario ensues.

Reaction score
Most of the time, I install updates on my own, and for Apple apps, independent of the Apple Store or Software Update. For example, for the latest update to Yosemite, OS 10.10.5, instead of obtaining the update from the Apple Store, I found the OS 10.10.5 Combo Updater (via an Apple site). But, that is not always the case. I suspect that for OS 10.11 (El Capitan), I'll have to get the original, first one from the Apple Store. But after that, I'll certainly get Combo Updaters from another, Apple source.

I much prefer to have control on how and when to install updates for any software I have. Again, it is not always possible (Quicken is another example of that), but in most cases, I can do it on my own.

Reaction score
Oops! I meant OS 10.10.4 in my post above. Just to note that another update, OS 10.10.5, will be coming out soon.

Ask a Question