SOLVED Update confusion

Reaction score
using sierra, imac, lap top and external boot drive, finding many upgrades are not available and looking for input as to pro and con for osx upgrade versions..........
two conciderations have prevented moving to newer systems, one is being able to customize app and system icons, like the design process and makes the computer experience more personal helping to eliminate the feeling of manipulation by apple
the second is trusted apps not being compatible with newer upgrades such as the loss of bloated, cumbersome but predictable itunes as an example .......so any first hand information will be greatly appreciated......thanks
d

Reaction score
Need to get some more detailed information:

1. What iMac and laptop models do you have?
2. Sierra on both of them? And the latest version, V10.12.6?
3. Do you know how many of your applications are 32-bit?

The following site is very helpful regarding software compatibility with versions of the Mac OS:

Catalina is a mature, stable, and up to date OS, but it does require that any application you use must be 64-bit. Also, at this point, do not know if either of your Macs can support any recent versions of the Mac OS (including Catalina).

Last edited:
Reaction score
seems that the mechanics of a change are not a problem ....Late 2015 2,8 Hgz 8 ram imac using external samsung ssd 256 for boot drive and imavc hd for storae also external ssd for time machine.... 2016 laptop 64 bit both updates are current ...... just the changing of apps to accomedate audibooks, music , movies .......are you on big sur ?
thanks for the help

Reaction score
seems that the mechanics of a change are not a problem ....Late 2015 2,8 Hgz 8 ram imac using external samsung ssd 256 for boot drive and imavc hd for storae also external ssd for time machine.... 2016 laptop 64 bit both updates are current ...... just the changing of apps to accomedate audibooks, music , movies .......are you on big sur ?
thanks for the help
Thanks for the information.

First, yes, it is always a challenge regarding applications when moving to a new version of the Mac OS. Even Apple ones change, from what I have read. I use third party applications exclusively, so I have been through this.

Secondly, you are, in reference to Big Sur (not quite out yet), 3 versions of the mac OS "behind" (just an observation). So, going to Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur will be a huge jump. You might want to consider a clean, fresh installation of the mac OS you want to get to. Amnd of course with Catalina and Big Sur, only 64 bit applications will work.

Third, this site is excellent in seeing what applications are compatible with versions of the mac OS (and Windows also):

Fourth, not on Big Sur yet. And it will be a while for me, as 1) Catalina is working fine, 2) there is nothing earth shattering in Big Sur that I must have, 3) the first few releases of any mac OS always contain bugs, and 4) most importantly, I have 5 critical applications that are not yet compatible with Big Sur. In fact, one of them, Tech Tool Pro, will, most likely, not be compatible until January. By that time, I anticipate that at least V11.2.x of Big Sur will have been released.

Reaction score
the biggest concern besides photoshop 6 is the redistribution of music and audiobooks in catalina from what ive read big sur will have some retro apps available, one being itunes, although its complicated installing files to iphone it is familiar....... a discovered 3rd party app called walter 2 is really user friendly for getting files into iphone w/o all the hassle of tunes ....if you now of any file joiner apps could you please pass them on
Thanks for your time on this
d

Reaction score
in the search for upgrade awareness stumbled across a work around for getting books into iphone w/o itunes......
ibooks converter from mp3 to m4b $ 4.99 app store and Walter 2 app drag and drop mp3, m4b, photos etc. $ 25.00, really simple and at my age that counts..... Wait ! ....theres more,... a file joiner, Any Audio Joiner ( elegant work flow ) so one dosent lose their place while listening to chaptered audiobooks another $ 4.99 app store special................. thought to pass this along as your Roaring apps helped alot .....thanks

Ask a Question