App Store thinks I need an Excel update but won't let me.

Reaction score
My Mac says there is an update to Microsoft Excel (yesterday it updated Outlook). But when I try to download it I get “Microsoft Excel cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID.”—

I have a subscription and it updated my wife’s. Subscription belongs to (e-mail address removed) (my appleID is howardbrazee@mac.

I downloaded and ran the Microsoft update tool and it says everything’s up-to-date. So it's the App Store that's confused.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

If you purchased it from the App Store, you could try deleting the Excel application, then re-download from the App Store.

C

Reaction score
I'm not sure how I originally purchased it. I do know that a few years ago, I had to change to the subscription model, and I get my $100 taken from my checking account every February. I still have the first e-mail from Microsoft for the subscription.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If you downloaded Excel from the App Store, it will be in your Purchased section in the App Store app. It does offer in-app purchase subscriptions, so that should show in Store > View My Account > Subscriptions in the App Store app's menu bar.

I don't use Microsoft Office on my personal Macs, so I am not very familiar with their subscription model and how it works when purchased directly or via the App Store.

C

Reaction score
Interesting, When I went to App Store>View my account>Subscription Service, I saw Purchases by me and Purchases by my wife. The first time I went into purchases by me, it was empty. Then I went into my wife's purchases and saw a lot, including Microsoft Office applications. Then I went into my account and they were all there. Excel is the only one that says "Update". Word doesn't. I don't see anyplace to look up "Subscription Service".

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
In the Account Information window in the App Store , it will be in the Manage section with Nickname. You can click Manage to see what they are. Is this what you see:

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 19.10.12.png

C

Reaction score
Ahh, I found that screen. I had to log into my AppleID to see it. That AppleID doesn't see my subscription. I rebooted my Mac and went to that screen again to see if I could log in with my old AppleID. I was already logged on with my newer AppleID.

I logged into that screen on my wife's screen, her subscriptions are different from mine (but I access them via family sharing), but no Microsoft applications. This morning, I went to her computer and invited my old ID to family sharing. All day, I've been trying to accept, but I get the following:
Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 8.02.19 PM.jpg

Reaction score
I can *send* the invitation, the error comes from the receiving end, probably because my Mac doesn't recognize that ID. I went to my iPad and my iPhone and accepted the e-mail invitation, but haven't seen that that did anything, beyond putting me in the settings/Apple ID/iCloud window.

Ask a Question