Untitled drive

Reaction score
I am technology challenged, but I would like to reinstall the ElCapitan OS on my Macbook Pro mid 2010. I followed the Mac directions but chickened out when the drives came up on the screen. In the video I watched, the drive came up as a MacintoshHD but on my machine the first drive listed is a hitachi and another one underneath says untitled. I don't want to screw nothing up so I came to the experts:) Can I still reinstall ELCapitan without a problem?

Reaction score
First, when you said that you followed the Mac directions, where did you get those from? And, what exact steps did you take?

Secondly, you have a backup, correct? If so, what software did you use for the backup?

Third, are both drives empty?

Fourth, which of those drives is the internal one for the Macbook Pro, and which one do you want to install El Capitan on?

Fifth, for the other drive, and assuming it is not empty, what do you have on it?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I went right to the Apple site and followed the whole hold the command..etc. It put me exactly where it was suppose to except for the drive in the pic said Macintosh whereas mine says untitled. Secondly, no backup is needed. There is nothing on the computer at except word which I will reinstall. As far as the rest of the questions, I am not skilled in those. I guess I just wanted to do what other people would do to sell it even though I am not. My main goal is to get rid of al MainStage programs for a fresh install.

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that. But, still need to know the "location" of the 2 drives. Is one of them external (and which one?), and if so, is it completely empty?

Next, do you have the file "Install OS X El Capitan"? Typically, it is located in the Applications folder, but it is a good idea to make a copy of it in another location on the same drive. If you don't have it, you should still be able to download it form the App Store. Just look where it says "Purchased". You will need it.

Given that you do not need anything from your external drive, here is what you can do:

1. Download the "demo" version of SuperDuper! from here:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

2. Install SuperDuper! on your "boot" (again, I assume internal) drive.

3. Make sure your external drive is formatted for "OS X Extended (Journaled)", with the scheme of "GUID Partition Map" (I suspect it is already, but check that with Disk Utility (just launch Disk Utility, select that drive from the list, and ONLY click on Erase. Such information will show up)).

4. Launch SuperDuper!, and have it "do its' thing", ie, make a bootable backup/clone of your entire system onto the external drive.

5. Once complete, go to System Preferences, select "Startup Disk" (the icon for your external startup disk created via SuperDuper! will be greyed out), click on the Lock Icon in the lower left of that screen, and then enter your admin password. The icon for that external bootable drive will change. Click on it, then click Restart. Your machine will then Restart from that external drive.

6. Once that completes, launch Disk Utility, and then do an Erase and Format (and if necessary, Partition) the internal drive on your machine. Again, as above, make sure it is formatted for "OS X Extended (Journaled)", with the scheme of "GUID Partition Map". You could also rename either, or both, drives.

7. Quit Disk Utility, launch the file "Install OS X El Capitan", and select your internal drive as the destination. A fresh, "virgin" version of OS 10.11.5 will be installed onto your internal drive.

8. Install anything else (like Word, which should be on that SuperDuper! backup) onto the internal drive.

9. Just like above, go to System Preferences, select "Startup Disk" (the icon for your internal disk will be greyed out), click on the Lock Icon in the lower left of that screen, and then enter your admin password. The icon for your internal drive will change. Click on it, then click Restart. Your machine will then Restart from your internal drive.

That should do it. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Honestone for the reply. I think that may be over my head;) My VCR still flashes 12 o'clock. I assumed it was a couple minute process when I watched others do it but if mine is more complicated I am better off leaving it alone. My intention was just to use this as the dedicated Mac for MainStage for my keyboards and leave off everything not needed. I took some pics of the drive screen for clarification. Again I appreciate the time you took to respond, but I scare easy........

Attachments

• IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 329

Ask a Question