Unable to save changes in Preview - no permission

Reaction score
Hi! Mac Helpers!

I'm ready to tear my hair out in frustration! Downloaded photos from my iPhone (why do they download in HEIC format, for gosh's sake??!). Changed HEIC to JPG, then opened them in Preview. Tried to change the size of one of them. Size changed. Then tried to save it, but Preview says I do not have permission to save it (joking? my iMac, my iPphone, my photos...). Is there a straight-forward way to solve this? Batch-wise?
Any help will be HIGHLY appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi! Mac Helpers!

I'm ready to tear my hair out in frustration! Downloaded photos from my iPhone (why do they download in HEIC format, for gosh's sake??!). Changed HEIC to JPG, then opened them in Preview. Tried to change the size of one of them. Size changed. Then tried to save it, but Preview says I do not have permission to save it (joking? my iMac, my iPphone, my photos...). Is there a straight-forward way to solve this? Batch-wise?
Any help will be HIGHLY appreciated. Thank you!
How did you change HEIC to JPEG? HEIC files (High Efficiency Image File Format) are usually multi-faceted files usually intended for animated or multiple properties such as shifting wallpapers/screensavers, which we mere mortals aren’t expected to work with. If you simply changed the extension, you might end up with problems. Instead, open the file with Preview and then export it to JPEG. I believe that Preview will default with this selection. As long as you are an Admin user, you should not encounter permissions issues in this case. If this persists, there must be other settings that are preventing you from saving it. Try doing a “save as.” Good luck.

Ask a Question