Unable to connect to remote Mac Mini

Reaction score
I am running on Mac Mini SYSTEMC and wish to connect to Mac Mini SYSTEMB. The icon for SYSTEMB appears in Finder under "Locations". When I click on the SYSTEMB icon, the standard connection window opens and states "Not Connected". I click "Connect As" and enter a valid userid and password. A list of shared folders on SYSTEMB is displayed. I click on the "Desktop" folder, and then I receive this message:

The operation can't be completed because the original item for "Desktop" can't be found.

Would someone please explain to me what's going on? This used to work. The only thing that changed is that SYSTEMB is now a newer physical Mac Mini than the one it replaced with the same name.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

What are the OS X/macOS versions on the Macs involved?
Is SYSTEMB signed into iCloud and possibly using iCloud Drive for Desktop and Documents folders?

I have seen that issue if the OS versions are too far apart...older Macs sometimes won't connect to newer Macs.

C

Reaction score
SYSTEMB is running Big Sur; SYSTEMC is running Catalina, both at current maintenance levels. I can connect to SYSTEMC from SYSTEMB, just not the other way around. I regard this as a circumvention, not as a resolution, because, as I say, this used to work.

Ask a Question