Trying To Restore Lost Apps

Reaction score
Today I got my '09 Macbook back from the repair shop. They installed a new 750g hard drive, and installed Mountain Lion. I find that it no longer has Garageband, iMovie, and iPhoto on it. Gone are 2000 songs, and 1800 pics. I still have the data, because not long ago I bought a Macbook Pro, and using Migration Assistant, transferred all of the contents off of the Macbook onto the Macbook Pro. I figure that I can use Migration Assistant and transfer the contents of the Macbook Pro onto the Macbook, but what about the missing apps? I have doubts that the apps will reappear by doing this, I don't know, but I don't think so. Looking at Apple App Store, I see that Garageband and iMovie are there, but I don't see iPhoto. I am going to see if I can find the stuff that came with the Macbook and see if there is a disc that has that on it, but I'm not optimistic. I think that I should restore the lost apps before I use Migration Assistant to transfer the data. You guys that are knowledgeable about this, what do you think? OSX 10.8.5
arc1953

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You can use the Migration Assistant to transfer all of your User data and Applications from the MBP to the MacBook. You want to make sure you are on the same version of OX if possible, and that you don't already have a user created on the MacBook with the same name as the one on the MBP.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. The Macbook is fully restored now. And yes, I did have to undergo a name change to make it happen. Thank you for the reply.

Ask a Question