error 504 on itunes when trying to restore/update iphone

Reaction score
so, I tried to restore my iphone to factory settings using my iphone 5 itself. The phone was restoring just fine (with the apple logo and loading bar on the bottom) when it just stuck with the logo.
and when I connected it to itunes, there was a pop-up saying to choose between update or restore. because my phone was running on ios 8.3(jailbroken) it demanded to update to 8.4
and now i'm stuck with an error 504 appearing on itunes every time i connect my phone and choose to update
please help!

My itunes has been updated to the latest version and my laptop has been too. I really can't understand what's wrong and it's driving me crazy.:eek:
thank you very much for replying to my problem:)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The 504 error means that iTunes cannot connect to the iTunes Store. It can happen for a couple of reasons:

-Your computer cannot connect to your network or the Internet
-The iTunes Store is currently offline/down
-A failing piece of network gear between you and the iTunes Store server(s)
-Parental Controls are enabled in iTunes > Preferences and Disable: iTunes Store is checked

An old fix was to go to iTunes > Preferences > Store and uncheck "Connect to Internet when needed," however that has been removed from preferences in newer versions of iTunes. Other than that, verify that you can access other websites and network locations. If you can, then you'll have to wait for it to resolve itself, because it's out of your control.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of Mac OS X and iTunes? 10.10.4 and 12.2.0.145 are the most current respectively.

It is never recommended to jailbreak your iPhone. It voids your warranty if the unit becomes "bricked" because the third-party jailbreaking software prevents it from being able to be updated.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The 504 error means that iTunes cannot connect to the iTunes Store. It can happen for a couple of reasons:

-Your computer cannot connect to your network or the Internet
-The iTunes Store is currently offline/down
-A failing piece of network gear between you and the iTunes Store server(s)
-Parental Controls are enabled in iTunes > Preferences and Disable: iTunes Store is checked

An old fix was to go to iTunes > Preferences > Store and uncheck "Connect to Internet when needed," however that has been removed from preferences in newer versions of iTunes. Other than that, verify that you can access other websites and network locations. If you can, then you'll have to wait for it to resolve itself, because it's out of your control.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of Mac OS X and iTunes? 10.10.4 and 12.2.0.145 are the most current respectively.

It is never recommended to jailbreak your iPhone. It voids your warranty if the unit becomes "bricked" because the third-party jailbreaking software prevents it from being able to be updated.

C

thanks for the info
i have the 12.2 version of iTunes, and I'm using a windows 7 at the moment :/

it seems I'm stuck in the apple logo -> loading -> freezing loophole. I tried to contact apple support, but due to my location it's impossible :(
if there's no solution, I guess it's time to change my phone :(

anyways, thanks for the reply

Ask a Question