Trying to restart without waking up the neighborhood

Reaction score
I know all about the volume controls but even if I have all the volumes muted or turned down really low, whenever I start my computer it makes this really loud "boong" sound, louder than a police siren, louder than a slamming door. Making this loud noise is the first thing the computer does before anything else so even trying to start it in safe mode, I still get this "boong" that screams to the whole neighborhood that I've just turned my computer on.

Is there any way to turn that particular "boong" sound down?

Reaction score
Try muting your speakers before you shutdown.

Or a more permanent solution.

Open a terminal and type in:
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80

If you want to re enable the sound
sudo nvram -d SystemAudioVolume

Reaction score
I know all about the volume controls but even if I have all the volumes muted or turned down really low, whenever I start my computer it makes this really loud "boong" sound, louder than a police siren, louder than a slamming door. Making this loud noise is the first thing the computer does before anything else so even trying to start it in safe mode, I still get this "boong" that screams to the whole neighborhood that I've just turned my computer on.

Is there any way to turn that particular "boong" sound down?

Muting sound output in system prefs doesn't work?

Reaction score
No. Muting mutes all the volumes EXCEPT the startup "boong" sound. I have tried the more permanent solution but haven't tested it yet. I'll post here once I know it's fixed.

Reaction score
No. Muting mutes all the volumes EXCEPT the startup "boong" sound. I have tried the more permanent solution but haven't tested it yet. I'll post here once I know it's fixed.

I have Headphones selected as the output in system prefs and have a cable to my audio system plugged into that port. If the audio is not powered on, I hear no sound of any kind, including startup.

Reaction score
Just to be clear: You do have something plugged into the headphone jack? If so, I'm stumped.

Reaction score
Yes, I have headphones plugged into the headphone jack. All the sound comes through my headphones except that startup boong. But as I have said, I'm giving Lufbrarunner's suggestion a try. We'll see.

Ask a Question