Trying to install SSD

Reaction score
Lately I purchased an SSD and an adapter, I built it in the MacBook Pro 15" instead of the optical disc drive and now I'm trying to move what's in my HDD in the new SSD, so that I can use it instead of the old hard drive.

My problem is that any time I try to move (Restore in the Disk Utility) the HDD in the SSD (in the Recovery Mode), an error shows up...! Several errors showed up to tell the truth, like a problem in the input/output, a broken pipe (error 32) etc...

Also, when I start the computer, sometimes the SSD doesn't work: I create a partition on it (using the GUID partition) and I initialize it, but when I restart, it seems the SSD lost its information and it appears disk… in the disk utility and I have to create a partition on and initialize the SSD again...! If I verify the SSD, it shows me errors which neither the Disk Utility in Recovery Mode can repair...!

What should I do ? I'm desperate...!

Reaction score
Firstly many people have heating problems doing this.

This is not a user serviceable part, there are many very subtle things you may have done wrong, it is a Hardware problem, you should take it to an AppleCare Service Centre near you before you damage it permanently.

Reaction score
So you're telling me the only one thing I can do now is to go to an Apple Centre ? Isn't there a way to check whether I did anything wrong ? (I know I did, if it doesn't work, but I'd like to know whether I missed some step in the software side or whether I should check if the hardware is ok)

Reaction score
That is what I'm saying.

there is nothing to do on the software side so if it doesn't work it must be hardware.

Reaction score
Honestly it could be a lot of things, from the wrong screw put back into the place, the cables and power supplies are very fragile, and get more so as the computers get older. This was a result of Apple going Green.

I'm our workshop our Tech, would remove everything, put it back to a known good, see if still works. Then install the SSD and check it works, then CCC across your boot drive. These Techs do have to be trained and are required to pass exams. After 35 years in the industry I wouldn't dream of opening a modern Mac of any type, the risk of damaging them is so great. YMMV.

Ask a Question