trouble with the Mac Help program

Reaction score
Hi:
Recently I've been having trouble with the Mac Help on my iMac. Last evening I was using it alot to access info on how to burn CD's. Shortly afterwards, when I click on it nothing happens. When I type a question into the space, nothing happens. Then, when I click on Help for Mac Help (!) the application suddenly quits. This Mac Help program, at least in my experience, has always been a bit slow at times, but now I don't get, after asking a question, that whole list of possible answers with the different length bars.
For some reason, it doesn't seem to be 'finding' the right path to the info. Would running a disk utility program help?

Thanks,
three4rd

Reaction score
Hello three4rd and Welcome!

Try running Disk Utility. Go to Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility --> then click on repair permissions. After that is completed, try restarting your computer. Let us know how you it works out for you!

Searay

Reaction score
Hi:
Thanks for your assistance. I also checked out the Apple Support website and came across a link that deals specifically with Mac Help viewer issues. My problem, which apparently is not that unusual, seems to point to some corrupted files. It is suggested that I 'reset' the Mac Help application. I sort of suspected corrupted files since I was getting that "app has suddenly quit"...took me back to my old Performa 5200 days...LOTS of crashes back then! Anyway, there is a whole troubleshooting list I have to go through. I'll try it tonight if I get a chance and then I'll repost here to let you know if the issue is resolved.

Sincerely,
three4rd

Ask a Question