Trouble connecting to external display MBA 2013

Reaction score
Hello,

I am unable to connect an external display to my mid 2013 MacBook Air via the DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port. The monitor is not detecting the MacBook and no image is being shown. The monitor is a Viewsonic 32" 2K monitor.

I have tried the following things so far:

• Update to latest OSX 10.15.7
  • Test the monitor with different machine
  • Test different cable (I am using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable as well as a Displayport to HDMI adapter with HDMI cable, both don't work)
  • Test the MacBook on different monitor (HDTV also does not work)
  • Force detect monitor in Display Settings
  • Start MacBook in Safe Mode
  • Rest SMC and NVRAM (both done multiple times)
  • Restarting MacBook and monitor both with cable connected and unconnected

Nothing so far has solved the issue. I had already concluded that the DisplayPort itself must be broken until I was able to make the monitor work fine after a NVRAM reset. It worked for some time but after reconnecting the monitor it is back to not working. Further resetting of NVRAM did not help.

Is there anything else I can try?

kind regards.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have seen this issue with some displays and display adapters/cables. I have also seen the issue happen with HDMI, but not VGA. Do you have a VGA adapter and dispaly to try?

It could also be a hardware issue with the port, even though it works intermittently. You have done all the troubleshooting I would suggest.

C

Ask a Question