Tricky situation

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope someone can me help me figure out this one. My Mac book pro Mid2012 A1278 was suddenly very slow and getting very hot, more than normal, until one day it didn't turn on any longer. I took it to a more affordable shop to get it fixed and it was the logic board. Now it seems to be working fine but that's where my problem started. Since it was getting very slow I thought about reinstalling the osx, in this case high sierra, but that was exactly when the laptop stopped working. So now it came back fixed but with no OS in it. Is there a way to install the OS from scratch without losing my data on the ssd?
Thanks

Reaction score
Basic question: have you been making backups to an external device?

Also, how are you making posts here? Is it with another Mac?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mate, I remembered I did have a back up! :)

Cool! Also, given that High Sierra caused issues, it might be best if you downloaded and installed Sierra. Not sure, though, how easy it is to find it in the App Store.

Also, have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help with those tasks. When you get your machine back up and running, you should really make a concerted effort to do that (along, of course, with frequent backups).

By the way, one of the biggest resource hogs is deleted EMails that are not permanently removed. I am doing that every day with Thunderbird, and it is quite easy to do.

By the way, it seems that Mojave is a good OS, especially with some of the reports that have been posted here. Of course there are still some bugs, and in fact, V10.14.1 is currently in beta testing. But it seems a stable, speedy OS. I am waiting to upgrade, as one of my critical applications, Tech Tool Pro, will not have a Mojave-compatible upgrade available until early December (I am the latest version of High Sierra on both of my Macs). But going forward, your machine is the same boat as my late 2012 Mac Mini: Mojave will be the last OS our machines can support.

Last edited:

Ask a Question