time machine

Reaction score
attempting to delete time backups ....
used time mach method ,( gear )
and it took 15 min to delete ....switched to finder and removed 10 backups to the trash doing one at a time get the error msg
" error code -8072 " tried to put them back into the back up volume and go with the 15 min delete time but " time machine cannot be modified " comes up and refuses to allow replacing the 10 backups so now im stuck with 10 back ups in the trash.... is sip the culprit and should it be disabled for trash removal or perhaps
erasing the bu volume will do the trick .........no issues with the boot drive.......what to do ???

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

It is preferred to use the Time Machine method. The reason it takes so long is that as it is deleting the data, it is also rewriting information it uses to update only the changed files since the last backup.

Yes, I believe that SIP is preventing some of your manual removal and deletion of the Time Machine backups. You may be able to disable SIP, then empty the Trash of those backups, then re-enable SIP.

If you don't want to go through all of that, and you are confident that your internal drive is OK and you don't need anything for the current Time Machine backups, you could erase the Time Machine drive and start over. Also, you could use a second TM drive, make a full TM backup, then work on the original drive. You would then have a full backup in place before messing with the main TM drive.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
cory .....thanks, the problem started with a failing external ssd drive and snowballed from there .....transferred all important files to empty imac hd and erased time machine drive and started again ......also can you recommend a stand alone music app for the mac, it seems that catalina is not geared for decent audio book storage or recall, there are a lot, 700 Gb of books...... storage to an external seems to be the surest and safest method, but there is a need for an organizing and dependable play back app...........this authorized or unauthorized nonsense by apple is unacceptable....thanks

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Good you have the Time Machine issue resolved.

Do you mean authorization for iTunes or the Audible audiobooks?

Yes, an external RAID would probably be the best. I have my VERY large iTunes Libraries on three separate RAIDs - one for music (60 GB), one for movies (9.8 TB), and one for TV shows (3.2 TB). I am also planning on adding a large NAS to backup all of those to.

C

Reaction score
a 2 tb ssd should do it for storage, just pull it up when needed ?
you have a lot more to organize than here.... looked up RAID and it all got very complicated
yes the same authorization snafu, need to get a handle on it before i get there.......
was reading the posts about the loss of itunes and the struggle to get a library that at least mimics the organization of itunes, most of my audio books are torrent based mp3s, even though itunes mixes the books into the music library at times it can be dealt with but a stand alone app, if there is such an animal, could simplify the process, no mess no stress.....NAS seems like an expensive alternative although superior, isnt it s bit of overkill ? have to look into it a bit more, i really know nothing about it...........thanks

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, a 2 TB SSD should work. RAID is a bit more involved, but it is pretty straightforward. It's really two or more drives working as one, and appear as a single drive to the Mac. RAID 1 is nice, because it writes the same information to both drives in my RAIDs. It is safer than a single drive if a failure should occur. However, it is not meant as a replacement for a good backup regimen.

A NAS is a good solution for networked storage, sharing, and RAID-based storage and backup. Huge capacities can be created at the expense of higher pricing. And, they are a bit more to configure than a simple desktop RAID.

I haven't used an other audio media players that would be comparable to iTunes, as it does what I need. Maybe something like Plex or one from this article: The Best iTunes Alternatives for macOS.

C

Ask a Question