SOLVED Time Machine with a Power Hub

Reaction score
I have installed macOS Monterey Version 12.6 on my Mac mini (Late 2014). I run automatic Time Machine backups to an independently powered external desktop HDD directly connected to one of the mac USB ports. I would like to implement Time Machine backup to multiple (two) disks to reduce my risk in the event of a hardware failure. Unfortunately, the limited number of USB ports on the mac prevents my directly attaching two disks. I have a very stable, independently powered, Dyconn USB Power Hub to which I regularly connect an SSD for backups with Carbon Copy Cloner. Should I expect to be able to successfully implement Time Machine backup to two disks using the Power Hub rather than direct connect?

Reaction score
I have installed macOS Monterey Version 12.6 on my Mac mini (Late 2014). I run automatic Time Machine backups to an independently powered external desktop HDD directly connected to one of the mac USB ports. I would like to implement Time Machine backup to multiple (two) disks to reduce my risk in the event of a hardware failure. Unfortunately, the limited number of USB ports on the mac prevents my directly attaching two disks. I have a very stable, independently powered, Dyconn USB Power Hub to which I regularly connect an SSD for backups with Carbon Copy Cloner. Should I expect to be able to successfully implement Time Machine backup to two disks using the Power Hub rather than direct connect?
By all means, yes. I have tandem Time Machine drives connected to my Mac Studio via Thunderbolt, and two connected to my 2018 Mac mini via USB-A. I found an external case that holds two 2.5" drives (supports SSDs and hard disks) so it only takes up one USB port on my (powered) USB hub.

Reaction score
By all means, yes. I have tandem Time Machine drives connected to my Mac Studio via Thunderbolt, and two connected to my 2018 Mac mini via USB-A. I found an external case that holds two 2.5" drives (supports SSDs and hard disks) so it only takes up one USB port on my (powered) USB hub.
Thanks

Reaction score
Implemented my Time Machine backup to two disks using the Power Hub this morning. All is well in the garden. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Implemented my Time Machine backup to two disks using the Power Hub this morning. All is well in the garden. Thanks again.
Ow, I forgot to bring this up right away. Sorry. Did you format your drives as APFS? I learned that macOS prefers APFS Time Machine backups. DO NOT encrypt them during the formatting. Do the encryption when you assign the drives to Time Machine. If you did not format them as APFS, and if the backups have just started, maybe you can start over??

Reaction score
Ow, I forgot to bring this up right away. Sorry. Did you format your drives as APFS? I learned that macOS prefers APFS Time Machine backups. DO NOT encrypt them during the formatting. Do the encryption when you assign the drives to Time Machine. If you did not format them as APFS, and if the backups have just started, maybe you can start over??
Yup. Drives are formatted APFS and not encrypted.

Ask a Question