Time Machine excluded the Library Folder

Reaction score
I've just discovered that Time Machine excluded the Library Folder for the last few months, even though I didn't ask it to. Now I have no emails.

Apple are blaming the fact that for a short while I hade a WD Mycloud hooked up to the LAN and I had chosen to put time machine backups on both the WD and my external HDD. They believe that a WD setting stopped time machine from including the Library folder. Sadly my WD Mycloud device is no longer supported, but I can log into it and see all of the backups but they are in a bundle format that cannot be read.

Who is at fault here. It appears to me that the safest option was the worse.

I have told Apple that this has stopped being a technical issue and is now a compensation issue. I haven't heard from them since.

Foogy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It does sound like what Apple stated could be the cause. I am not siding with or defending them, but using multiple Time Machine destinations can be tricky and settings can be changed/overlooked.

There are ways to move Time Machine backups to another drive if you do an Internet search, but that isn't something I have experience with.

Is the WD myCloud not supported for Time Machine, for your current version of macOS, your network? Does it have a direct USB connection other than the Ethernet network connection?

I don't have any comment on whether it is a technical or compensation issue, as that borders on legal action, and will be between you and Apple.

Sorry for the situation, but hope this helps a little.

C

Ask a Question