Time Machine or Fresh Install

Reaction score
I just started using iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS for the first time and am loving it. However, my first hiccup occurred when I attempted to install some software for an input device that I use for 3d modeling. The installer failed and got stuck during several attempts. I attempted to remove all traces of said software through Finder. I thought that I was successful but when I attempt to shut down or restart my Mac the installer, which I ejected and deleted all traces of mysteriously pops up again preventing me from shutting down. There is also a lone process in Activity monitor that is related to the software that I can't seem to force quit or remove.

I figure that the best way to remove all traces and remedy this is to restore my system to a point that was before I attempted to install the software or just do a clean OS system install on my brand new Mac Studio. I have never done this before but am confident that I can figure out how, but I'm unsure of what it entails.

I am running Sonoma 14.2.1 and also have been using Time Machine with daily backups to an always connected external ssd. I also have my important files backed up to another external drive as well as Google Drive so there is no risk of losing these files during this process.

I also have my "work" folder synced to Google Drive. Do I need to unsync this first?

My main concern is losing all of my system settings and preferences if a clean install is the best option because I have it setup just the way I like it. Is there a way to save and restore these settings without also restoring whatever it was that broke my machine in the first place?

I guess the worst that could happen is that I just have to reconfigure my system preferences and reinstall the system apps I use like Rectangle and Sensible Side Buttons.

Thanks for any insight into how this process works.

Reaction score
I just started using iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS for the first time and am loving it. However, my first hiccup occurred when I attempted to install some software for an input device that I use for 3d modeling. The installer failed and got stuck during several attempts. I attempted to remove all traces of said software through Finder. I thought that I was successful but when I attempt to shut down or restart my Mac the installer, which I ejected and deleted all traces of mysteriously pops up again preventing me from shutting down. There is also a lone process in Activity monitor that is related to the software that I can't seem to force quit or remove.

I figure that the best way to remove all traces and remedy this is to restore my system to a point that was before I attempted to install the software or just do a clean OS system install on my brand new Mac Studio. I have never done this before but am confident that I can figure out how, but I'm unsure of what it entails.

I am running Sonoma 14.2.1 and also have been using Time Machine with daily backups to an always connected external ssd. I also have my important files backed up to another external drive as well as Google Drive so there is no risk of losing these files during this process.

I also have my "work" folder synced to Google Drive. Do I need to unsync this first?

My main concern is losing all of my system settings and preferences if a clean install is the best option because I have it setup just the way I like it. Is there a way to save and restore these settings without also restoring whatever it was that broke my machine in the first place?

I guess the worst that could happen is that I just have to reconfigure my system preferences and reinstall the system apps I use like Rectangle and Sensible Side Buttons.

Thanks for any insight into how this process works.
The best way (and only way, in my opinion) is to use an app removal utility to remove all traces of the app you are trying to get rid of. My personal choice for this is AppCleaner.app. It’s freeware.

If you have already trashed the app and emptied the Trash, you can look for any other associated file, perhaps in your Library folder. Once you find one, just drag it to the AppCleaner icon and it will prompt you for the next steps.

I also recommend updating to macOS Sonoma 14.3 (23D56). My choice is to find it at the App Store. Do a search for “macos sonoma” and then click View to get to the Sonoma app category, scroll down to verify that it is offering version 14.3, and click on Get. It should start to download the installer to your Applications folder. I suggest, if it auto-launches, to quit and make a copy of the installer file to another location. Restart in Safe Mode, if you can, and proceed with the installation by double-clicking the app in the Applications folder.

Finally, check to make sure that trim is enabled, for the sake of your SSD drive(s).

Ask a Question