Time Machine backup help

Reaction score
Hello guys

While updating to High-Sierra, my Mac stopped working and I lost all my data, I needed to re-install iOs and I have a clean-Sierra now. As I had a backup, I tried to re-install but there is a problem with my backup. I have only one chance left. In my backup, there is a file named .spotlight_temp and I guess my all files (photos,musics etc) are in that file. And also the size is 200 GB, which makes sense. But I can not open it.

Does any of you know how can I extract file from that kind of files? Any tricky way to see the content of it?
(Screenshot of the file is attached)

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 373

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What is the problem with the backup?
-What do you mean by "I have only one chance left."?
-The .spotlight_temp file is just a temporary file used while Time Machine is backing up.
-What is in the Mac folder? That should be where your files are.
-It doesn't look like Time Machine was working correctly, as you should have folders with dates of all the backups and an folder alias called Latest.

C

Reaction score
Hello Mr.Cory,

First of all thanks for your reply. You are so kind. I'm suffering for a long time about an issue.
I was taking back-up frequently by myself to an external hard disk for my files in iOs. And last week I wanted to update to high Sierra and it failed I couldn't restore and I had to format ios. So I lost all my files/photos etc.

I thought that I had a backup but when I turn on time machine from external drive, it says there is nothing to restore.
But on the other hand, when I look the size used, the 300 GB is used in hard drive -which was my previous backup.I can not find/open root files.

I do not want to restore from Time Machine Backup (which is impossible) but I want to reach y files somehow and extract as much a s I can.

Now I attach here what I see in my external hard-drive. Maybe you know hot to reach files in it?

(Also I see spotlight repair and temp files with a red sign. I think I have to see inside somehow)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 380
  • 2.png
    2.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 363

Ask a Question