Can external Time Machine backup HD be locked and still allow backups?

Reaction score
I am running OSX 10.11.5 on an iMac 21.5" with 500GB external as backup HD.

Some time ago, I had the immensely destructive virus/malware which activated when I attempted to quit "4Media DVD Creator for Mac". Files and folders were deleted where the destruction could not usually be observed. Often, entire contents of folders would be deleted while the (now empty) folders themselves remained. On at least one occasion, file/folder icons would slowly drop to the bottom of the desktop screen and then disappear off the screen altogether!

I have a full transcript of the responsible virus/malware which I can post if required for examination and if it is safe to attach it to a responding post.

4Media are now run by Xilisoft who replaced the 4Media program with their own "Xilisoft DVD Creator for Mac". I have been using this uniquely capable video clip compression software for some months now without apparent background data deletion.

However, the same destruction is now occurring again. I am not knowledgeable about such IT issues but perhaps the destructive instruction set only activates after a given time, predetermined number of launches or whatever.

I need to have at least my external TimeMachine backup HD locked so as to replace deleted data as necessary.

Sincerely ranger1.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't believe you can lock the external hard drive and still have it writeable for Time Machine. To prevent loss of data on it, you could simply disconnect it and only backup once a week. Or, purchase a second hard to use with Time Machine, and keep the one you currently have to recover missing files from when needed.

You can attach the transcript if you want, or simply let us know the name of the malware. Have you tried downloading and running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to remove any lingering remnants of the malware?

It could also be coincidental with the malware infestation that your internal hard drive may be failing or have a corrupted volume structure. Do you have any utilities like DiskWarrior, Drive Genius, or TechTool Pro that you could run to fully test the drive?

C

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't believe you can lock the external hard drive and still have it writeable for Time Machine. To prevent loss of data on it, you could simply disconnect it and only backup once a week. Or, purchase a second hard to use with Time Machine, and keep the one you currently have to recover missing files from when needed.

You can attach the transcript if you want, or simply let us know the name of the malware. Have you tried downloading and running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to remove any lingering remnants of the malware?

It could also be coincidental with the malware infestation that your internal hard drive may be failing or have a corrupted volume structure. Do you have any utilities like DiskWarrior, Drive Genius, or TechTool Pro that you could run to fully test the drive?

C
Hello C,

Yes, I run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac" as a startup program. No Malware or Adware has been detected so far.

I also run Avast Security in background and I realise that its use or the need for its use is contentious among some Mac pundits. I find it reassuring as "Infections" on web sites are instantly blocked when using Safari. Avast instant warning windows identifies
"Infection" name (e.g. JS:ScriptPE-inf [Trj];
"User" (HD involved);
"Process" (e.g. /Applications/Disk Drill.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Drill)
"File" (e.g. 'Volumes/RangerCollins/MacintoshHD/Users/rangertest/Library/Cookies/Cookies11.binarycookies).

I used Avast yesterday, after noticing volunious data deletions were again occurring which I attribute to "Xilisoft DVD Creator for Mac" as occurred previously when attempting to quit "4Media DVD Creator for Mac". Xilisoft now owns 4Media.

Do you know if an online forum or similar where licencees can post notices of software malfunctions exist, please?

Thank you again for you generous response.

Sincerely, ranger1.

Attachments

• 16-07-09 AvastInfectionBlocked.png
    16-07-09 AvastInfectionBlocked.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 372

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

JS:ScriptPE-inf is a malware/trojan infection. It definitely could be part of the cause of the data loss. Malwarebytes should remove it for you. Is it simply launching at login, or are you actually starting the app and pressing the Scan button?

Yes, I don't recommend Avast as an anti-virus solution. If you really want to run one, I would use ClamXav. It used to be free, but is now $29.95 USD.

There isn't a single place to post software malfunctions. You can always contact any of the software application developers/companies and discuss it with their customer service folks via email or in their support forums if they have them.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question