Time Activity Tracker

Reaction score
Hi all. New poster here, with no technical background. I may need to be handled with kid gloves.

Mac mini 2012, upgraded to Catalina from Mojave this morning.

Back in 2016, I purchased an app called "Work Time Monitor." It's basically just a set of timers I use to keep track of hours billed on particular projects. There's an icon in the tray, and I can click it and it opens a little window. On the left, there's a column of "categories" which I have labelled with the days of the week. Then, under each category, I can create as many timers as I want. I create a timer for a client when I work on his/her project, and throughout the day I can switch back and forth easily. At the end of the day (or more realistically, at the end of the week), I transcribe the time from the timers into the paper files. I've attached a screenshot where you can see 19 minutes billed last Monday. I can't access any of the other timers.

I've been using version 4.513.9. This morning I upgraded to Catalina. Now, when I click the tray icon, the window that opens is tiny, and cannot be expaned to show all the timers. I know the timers are still there because one is visible. But the rest are not visible.

I really need to get that info, or about a weeks worth of billed work is lost. I've restarted the app, restarted the Mac, and tried restoring the app from time machine.

The app developer's website listed in the App Store--https://newtech-ltd.com--is one page, with no useful information. Their support email gives me a bounce-back message. I've worked with Apple's tech support chat, and they don't have useful information to contact the developer either. (They've flagged the developer for follow-up). There's a new version of the app on the App Store, but (a) I'd need to buy the full version again, and (b) my old data doesn't seem likely to be transferred.

So here's my question:

Is there some way I can use terminal or some other app to access the data saved in this timer app? In spotlight, I can find several files, including:

.db
.sqlite
.sqlite-shm
.sqlite-wal
container.plist
purchaserecord.plist

Which of these files (or others) would have the app data saved in it? If I could find a way to read the file, could I filter through the information and find the data I'm looking for? The .plist files show up in Finder's gallery view with a bunch of visible code. Is there any way I could sort through that code and find the value that's associated with <monday><client name><time>

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 1.19.06 PM.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not familiar with that app personally. It is always best to contact the developer as you have. My guess is that because the app is from 2015 and hasn't been updated since 2016, it may not be fully compatible with Catalina. You might try changing to Light Mode instead of Dark Mode, as I am sure that app has no support for that. Extracting any data depends on how the data is stored by the app in the database files you listed. I have no experience extracting data from them either.

Let's hope the developer gets back to you.

C

Reaction score
Well, since the developer's email address doesn't work, I don't think they'll be getting back to me.

Any idea which of these files might actually have the data saved in it?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea at all how that app stores the info...sorry.

.db and .sqlite are probably the database files, if those are used by the app.

C

Ask a Question