SOLVED thunderbolt 2

Reaction score
If this is your iMac:

then according to:

"Two Thunderbolt 2 ports
  • Mini DisplayPort output
  • Support for HDMI, DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)"
those ports are not compatible with a c type connector. For the SSD you have, did it also come with a USB connector? I just recently purchased a Samsung 1 TB T7 External SSD, and it came with 2 cables: one has a USB-C connector, and the other has a USB connector.

You could get one of these:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

It depends...some adapters/multiple adapters don't pass power through the connection.

-What brand/model is the external SSD drive/enclosure...Samsung?
-Is it a built-in USB-C connector, or removable?

I would think you would have better luck finding an adapter that would work to connect to one of the USB ports rather than the Thunderbolt connection on the iMac. And, if you do find an adapter to connect, you probably won't get the full speed of the SSD/USB-C connection, due to the older, slower connections on the iMac.

C

Reaction score
If this is your iMac:

then according to:

"Two Thunderbolt 2 ports
  • Mini DisplayPort output
  • Support for HDMI, DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)"
those ports are not compatible with a c type connector. For the SSD you have, did it also come with a USB connector? I just recently purchased a Samsung 1 TB T7 External SSD, and it came with 2 cables: one has a USB-C connector, and the other has a USB connector.

You could get one of these:

Thanks for the reply yes it is and ill just have to muddle through with low transfer speeds

Reaction score
Hi,

It depends...some adapters/multiple adapters don't pass power through the connection.

-What brand/model is the external SSD drive/enclosure...Samsung?
-Is it a built-in USB-C connector, or removable?

I would think you would have better luck finding an adapter that would work to connect to one of the USB ports rather than the Thunderbolt connection on the iMac. And, if you do find an adapter to connect, you probably won't get the full speed of the SSD/USB-C connection, due to the older, slower connections on the iMac.

C
yes your right i knew it somewhere in my reptilian brain, wont be purchasing new i mac anytime soon so stuck at low speed transfers
thanks for the advice

Ask a Question