SOLVED 27" Thunderbolt Display - Cord and Port Question

Reaction score
Hello -

I use a 27" Thunderbolt Display with my MacBook Pro (mid 2012). Lately the Thunderbolt cord that comes from the back of the display splitting off with the MagSafe charger has been acting strangely. Occasionally the display has horizontal lines and then cuts out completely. Eventually it works again, but I'm worried the Thunderbolt cord or connection is on the verge of dying. I was able to borrow a separate Thunderbolt cable and connect it to the port on the back of the display to my laptop to see if I could use that as a workaround if my cord dies. But when I connect with that separate Thunderbolt cord to the back Thunderbolt port (disconnecting the original cord) and to my laptop's Thunderbolt ports, the display works, but not the sound, camera, or USB ports. I tried resetting the PRAM, unplugging the display, restarting my laptop. No luck. Does anyone know if the back Thunderbolt port can support this? Or am I out of luck when my original cable eventually dies?

Thanks!
Lindsay

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It is my understanding that the (peripheral) Thunderbolt port on that display is for daisy chaining another display or Thunderbolt device. The main connecting cable is what carries the audio/video/data signals between the display and the Mac, and if it is not connected, those signals will not be passed through to the other ports...does that make sense?

If the main connecting cable is having issues, then it would need to be serviced.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your help! I tried a lot of google searching before I came here and couldn't find anything.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Sorry for the "bad" news. Hope you find a workable solution.

Stay healthy and safe!

C

Ask a Question