Thunderbold Display does not recognize USB keyboard

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Ihave a Macbook Pro wich I use in combination with a Thunderbolt display. As well I have an Apple USB keyboard which is plugged in one of the USB ports of the Thunderbolt display.
The problem I have is, that the keyboard is not recognized oftentimes. Usually when I shut the laptop down and start it again. I usually managed to bring it to work when I unplug the keyboard several times and plug it in again OR I open the settings and wait for some time and do random things.
I don't have any problems when I just put the Mac to sleep. The keyboard will still work when I wake the Macbook up again.
The keyboard works perfectly well when I connect it with the Macbook directly - so it seems not to be an issue with the cable. Other USB devices work in the ports of the display - so this seems not to be the issue as well.
But of course I want it to work with the display so that I don't have to unplug too many things to take my laptop away ...
Thanks for ur help! john

Reaction score
okay, this is what worked for me: I stole my colleagues keyboard and plugged it in the thunderbolt display. It's the same apple usb keyboard.
It works. Never experienced problems again. Happy.

Reaction score
Hi,

Pleased to hear you have solved the problem.
I stole my colleagues keyboard and plugged it in the thunderbolt display. It's the same apple usb keyboard.
It works. Never experienced problems again. Happy.

So it was a keyboard or cable issue;) after all.

Reaction score
Now it's getting interesting! Of course I had to return my colleagues keyboard when he returned from his hols.
So I took the old keyboard again until I finally get a new one.
And - surprise - I now works without any problems now. Didn't experience any issues since then!

Wonder how but actually I'm happy it works.

Ask a Question